Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Little Heinz 57

Time for some catchup...

We rode out alone on Saturday evening for a short one. There was a lot of stuff going on around the neighborhood (it was Saturday night after all) and Jessie was trying to check everything out. We worked our way through it and when we got out a bit and I still didn't have her attention, I started the serpentine exercise. I like to use this when she's not paying attention and it usually brings her around. She really doesn't like it and actually kicked up a bit for the first time that I can remember. We did it a bit longer and she finally came around. I think she might have been in season because she was pissy the whole ride. Oddly, we did the FTC exercise better than we ever have. Go figure.

Sunday we did some energetic GW. The neighbor invited me over to his arena with the promise he wouldn't try to tell how to do things. I went and we got to work on the clover pattern at the lope to the left before he started talking to me about his saddle and all sorts of other stuff. I find it incredibly difficult to talk (yell) while riding (he's at one of the arena on the ground). The guy is just a talker, what can I say? Jessie and I had some problems doing the clover to the right at the lope. I would have like to do more, I just didn't know how to politely fit it in. We were over there more than an hour and I doubt I got 30 minutes riding in.

Tuesday morning the farrier came at 6:30am. I got up to feed them at 5am and then cleaned up for work. I then took them both out back for 15 minutes of intensive ground work. Dusty did pretty good. The work Ranae has been doing is starting to show. He still was an ass for the farrier. He really leans on him. He was okay for the first two feet then I think he got really bored. Jessie was only mildly annoying and, because she was just getting a trim we didn't have to put up with it for too long. She's doing good going shoeless and, with all the riding we've got in, she's kept her feet short. I just wish they didn't have such a strong commitment to make me look bad in the eyes of the farrier.

1 comment:

Tuff e Nuff said...

LOL they always try to make us look bad. They only make us look good when no one is watching.