Thursday, November 18, 2010

S.W.E.A.T.

My friend Courtney sent some pictures of her horse Lucy while they were at the Doununder Horsemanship Clinic earlier this month. I noticed Lucy had a nice shine to her coat in the pictures and when I emailed Courtney to find out what she was using, she told me it was S.W.E.A.T.. I had to get some for my horse, but not being familiar with the product I did a quick Wiki search. Turns out S.W.E.A.T. is not a product you can buy and, get this, it's considered gross if you use somebody's else S.W.E.A.T. on your horse. S.W.E.A.T. is actually an acronym for Solution With Exercise Activated Triggers - essentially a substance secreted by the horse in response to work. The best part is IT'S FREE!

Now, I had thought I had work Jessie pretty hard in the past but had never seen this stuff. I was determined to get some out of her, so armed with a stopwatch, we headed out to the biggest field we could find. Once there we started loping and the stopwatch. She wasn't real hot on the idea, even though I tried to explain how good it would maker her look. After about 5 minutes we stopped and I checked her out. Ah, there was a little shine. It was working. Let's keep going. We loped another 5 then walked for about ten and went back to loping.

It was working! She was really getting shiny - and looking good. Something else was happening too. This S.W.E.A.T. stuff not only works on the outside of the horse, but the inside as well. About halfway through the second ten minute session she started to slow down, her lope got more comfortable to sit, and it was even easier to steer. The next day we did it again and it got even better! Who knew?

I've gotta admit I was a little disappointed when I found out you could not buy S.W.E.A.T. And, there's another drawback - I noticed that every time some gets on her, some usually shows up on me too. But the effects are remarkable and I'm sure as soon as word gets out about S.W.E.A.T., SOMEONE will figure out a way to put it in a bottle and make a million bucks.

2 comments:

Tuff e Nuff said...

LOVE IT! It is amazing what a little S.W.E.A.T will do. FWIW - We loped for a good 10 min. or so before he let us stop. Glad Jessie finally learned that conserving energy is a good thing. ;)

John Harrer said...

Ten minutes is a long time, especially the first time you do it.