Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The CSI Effect

Sometimes I wonder if there is a "CSI" effect that happens when you watch too much RFD-TV. On CSI (or any crime drama really), the crime is committed, the forensics team comes in, gathers the evidence, and, viola, the case is solved in 57 minutes and change. We suspend the belief that it all happened so quickly.

Watching the 30 minute or 60 minute horse training shows on RFD, may give the viewer the impression some horse problems are as easily solved. Downunder is airing part 7 of training an off-the-track-thoroughbred. There have been seven sessions and Clinton is doing the passenger lesson on him which is great, but I wonder how many viewers would be able to get the same results so soon. Then again, it might be entirely possible if one had the facilities Clinton has at his disposal - a sixty foot round pen, a 150 x 200 foot groomed arena, and the time necessary to dedicate the sessions consecutively.

Ah, come to think about it and it's probably easily done if you get really good at doing the exercises....never mind

2 comments:

Tuff e Nuff said...

I don't know. Even with the time and facilities I don't think I could do what CA can do in the time frame he can do it in. It's like painting. I'm a horrible artist (even though I try) so I could watch the 1/2 hr. how to paint shows and my trees would probably come out looking like green popsicles instead of trees.

CA has something a lot of people don’t. Lots of experience. The problem with most of his followers (myself including) is that we haven’t worked with the wide variety of horses he has. We haven’t seen the different possibilities of how a horse can react. We’ve only seen a few.

After watching Krista come off at the clinic I realized that even she has worked with him for over 4 yrs. and even she doesn’t have the feel/timing that he does.

John Harrer said...

Yeah, you're right. The 600 or so brumbies he handled has to give him an edge few will ever duplicate.