Saturday, September 20, 2008

Working Cow Horse

I had to come down and do some work so I thought I'd take a moment to blog about what I saw last night at the working cow horse competition at our county fair.

First, I'm sure it took a lot of courage to go out there and compete. For going out there in a strange arena with people doing all sorts of things in the stands, their horses did pretty good. There was a lot of tugging, jerking and pulling on the mouths, and there were a lot of tight reins. One gal rode in a hackamore. I have nothing against a hackamore. Ride in whatever you want, but I question the wisdom of using it in a competition. I think it takes very skillful hands to use a hack and when you don't have those soft hands the horse looks so much less willing. I would have really liked to see how these horses performed the same routine in their home arenas.

Anyway, I got a few ideas of things to expect from Jessie. There is a playday horse show in October and we'll try our hand at a few fun classes and I'm sure we'll look every bit as unpolished.

1 comment:

Tuff e Nuff said...

Not much power steering going on there huh?