Monday, September 22, 2008

Suggestions Wanted

We had a real nice Saturday late afternoon ride. We played some games and did some trotting and loping. We had a six foot ribbon and tried to ride side-by-side each holding an end.

Sunday we went out to the river arena. Before our trail ride I did a passenger lesson at the lope with her. She has improved a bunch. She still sped up in one area but we loped for some time (sorry, wish I would have timed it) and she got more relaxed. When we got back from the trail I grabbed the camera and had Ranae shoot some video. It hasn't been edited at all. She was holding her horse so it's a bit shaky (same when I'm shooting her). My first clip is doing a few circles and then a figure eight and the second is picking up the correct lead exercise. She didn't stop like she usually does, not sure why. I spotted a number of areas to improve, like where my eyes are looking. I'd be interested in any suggestions you wish to offer, particularly concerning my head, feet, and hands. Don't worry, I'm not easily offended. Any insights on how I can improve are always appreciated.

There were some good things going on here. I remember trying this exercise 6 months ago and she never slowed down. She dropped to a trot to get them, but she made most of the lead changes. Her maximum speed was 13.3 according to my gps which is still too fast, but I think that is also improving.

Looking forward to your comments...

5 comments:

Tuff e Nuff said...

You guys look good! I'm bad at giving critique (unless it's to DH). I'm sure you've noticed a few things yourself like your leg (you ride like me when it comes to lower leg position). I also think you could handle shortening up your reins. It looked like you had a lot of slack between your hands. On occasion it looked like you "rolled" your wrist vs. pulling your arm back.

John Harrer said...

Thanks. I think I'm going to try split reins soon. I struggle with trying to keep my hands quiet and manage the reins.

My lower leg gets thrown up there on the lead side. Are you supposed to work to keep it back by the girth?

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I just watched your CA training video on youtube and wanted to let you know how impressed I am with your training and your video skills. You've really got the body language down. I'm working my way through the GRACOTG DVDs as well and watching you made me conscious of how my body language is stiff and agressive, particularly when I swing the stick to yield my horse's hindquarters. So, tomorrow will be a better day and I thank you.

John Harrer said...

Thanks, Coy. You made my day!

Anonymous said...

And you made mine. Twice as a matter of fact, because I am now listening to Sweet Jane, a song I haven't heard in forever. Love it! And the song that came right after it on my ipod is Chest Fever - can you tell I'm a fan of big bass lines?