Monday, September 20, 2010

How long do we lope before it gets slower?

Saturday afternoon we went out for a ride to the usual haunts. It was still fairly warm...in the nineties I would guess. We did some warm up trotting and loping in the big alfalfa field. Jessie was a bit hard to steer (as most always) and we got through the warm up and trotted down the canal for about a mile. When we got out to the development we saw this little gem that had been dumped. She was cuddled next to the carcass of a cat (I thought it was a stuffed animal) who I assumed would be her food supply for a day or two.



We rode for about two hours and then went back to pick up the pup who assured me she was okay and that once her owners realized she had "accidentally" fell out of their vehicle they would be coming back for her.

I don't know why, if it's the heat, or the extra trotting and posting, or if it's because I'm trying to sit more balanced in the center of the saddle with my feet under my hips, but I've been getting some saddle sores the last month or so. Sunday, I wanted to do a lot of loping to see if I could get Jessie to go slower. She has slowed down from the 16-18 mph she had when we started, but she is still too fast most times. We started our loping about a mile ahead of Ranae and then doing some circles and figure eights until Ranae trotted up to us. We walked about another mile where we found a lot that was about the size of a football field, maybe 100 yards by 60 yards. The track around it was smooth dirt so we started off in our loop. We probably went around that thing six times and she was huffing and puffing but she never showed a sign of "wanting" to slow down. On the way home we talked about ways to improve the exercise like going around a couple of times in one direction, then circling and go the other direction. That fast lope isn't the easiest to sit however, I'll have to toughen my butt up for the next session.

In the meantime, if you know anyone who wants the sweetest little black dog you've ever seen...

2 comments:

Tuff e Nuff said...

Awww - the puppy is very cute.

Have you done post to post w/Jessie? My horses don't have any issues going slow. The only time they go fast is when they think it will get them out of work. Once they figure out it won't I typically have to push them to actually move!

John Harrer said...

I have tried post-to-post with Jessie. We don't have very well defined posts. I does help her steering for awhile. It is a chore of an exercise to do (which I guess means I need to do more of it) ;>)