Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Change of Pace

Temperatures are supposed to reach 107 by Sunday....I was up at 6 for a little work with Jessie. I thought it would be good to change it up a bit, so after a few exercises, we (or was it just me) just played around on the ground. I tried to teach her to side-pass along the fence toward me. That was easier than I thought. She picked up on it quickly.

I hopped on her bareback and with just the lead rope on one side, we rode around for a bit. Then I took everything off and she got to play at liberty. She was sticking close to me and we were hooked up really well, then she headed for the gate. She ran up and down the dry lot at full speed. Good golly, she is fast. Then she realized how hot it was and she was at risk to lose a pound or two. I got her trotting in a circle around me before letting her rest. I had laid a couple of barrels on their side and she jumped those in both directions. Then we did some leading beside off lead and she stayed right at my shoulder even through several direction changes. After that it was a little sensitizing before heading off to the wash rack and breakfast.

2 comments:

Tuff e Nuff said...

Our temps hit 101 yesterday. It has cooled off today but I can do w/o the heat! Glad you are getting some time in w/Jessie.

John Harrer said...

101 ?!? We don't have your humidity. That must be miserable!