Monday, August 10, 2009

Our First Trail Class

After the Matt Sheridan Trail Workshop, Ranae and I decided to try a Trail Class. We found an Open Show that had a Novice class and entered. Our horses did pretty good and we came away with a first and a third place. More importantly our horses got us around the course. Here are our runs:


Our First Trail Class


Some of the other classes looked interesting like Western Horsemanship. Not sure all the requirements, but maybe I can find out more about them.

A little recap:

Thursday we set up the trail course in our yard and worked on our exercises. Friday we took the horse out on a short ride. Saturday we took them on a six miler and got to work on a bunch of stuff. I was loping Jessie in a small circle. Sunday, before the show, we went on a quick one hour ride that included a lot of trotting. By the time Sunday evening rolled around everyone at our house looked pretty worn out.

3 comments:

Tuff e Nuff said...

You guys looked great! Congrats! So did you have fun (that is the important part)?

John Harrer said...

Yeah, we did. But it is easier to have fun when you do well ;>)

It was a bit nerve wracking when we thought our class was going to be around 2 pm and after our early morning ride and loading the trailer I turned my phone on at 11 am and there was a message from 9:20 am that they had a lot of no-shows and they were moving our class to an earlier time. It worked out okay, though.

I think I would like to try the western horsemanship class too. It's a pattern class and I think that suits my brain a little better.

I was really proud of Jessie. She did great.

Anonymous said...

Jessie looked perfect - I assume she won the 1st place? It seems to me the moves were awfully demanding for a novice class! Wow! But watching this helps me think of things to look for, and tips to help get through the obstacles. Thank you so much for sharing! And congratulations to both of you! YAY!