Monday, February 23, 2009

A trailer ride

Saturday we trailered out to Ethel's. It's about a 15 minute drive to the foothills.


View Larger Map

It was the first time in awhile we had had the horses out. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but the girls really wanted to "go somewhere". Jessie put up a short-lived protest going into the trailer. I was pretty happy with how well she finally just went in. The ride was up a hill on a paved road and then into the foothills. We decided that there would be just walking on this ride, which was fine with me. When we arrived there was live music at Ethel's, the go-cart race track was in full swing and there was shooting at the shooting range about 1/2 a mile away. Jessie was pretty excited, so I did a little yielding and flexing and when I mounted she waited for me to flex her before we took off.

She moved out at a pretty good clip. That gave us an opportunity to work on bending in circles and stopping and flexing as the others caught up. Dusty has the s-l-o-w-e-s-t walk you would ever want to see.

We rode out this way:

View Larger Map

We rode for about 2 1/2 hours and, boy, is my butt out of shape. The other two horses were pretty sweaty compared to Jess. It's probably because she just doesn't have as heavy a winter coat as the other two. She got in the trailer easily for the ride back and it was warm enough to give her a bath. Sunday it rained most of the day.

Oh, btw, the trailer was a scam. We are now looking at a couple of others. I'm trying to find a gooseneck I can pull with my half-ton Toyota. I think that is do-able. There's a nice one a couple of hours away for $6600 and another that's a single axle, custom made for $6K that is about 4 hours away.

2 comments:

Tuff e Nuff said...

Where was your camera? That looks like a cool place to ride. On the trailers, look around and you can find a good deal. We pull our 22' gooseneck w/a Dodge 1500. It doesn't pull the best but it works for now. Check out www.horsetrailerworld.com sometimes you can find nice used ones on there & with the market the way it is people are selling them cheaper then normal.

John Harrer said...

Those are Google's street view cameras. Pretty cool, huh?

Yeah, I'm looking on Horsetrader.com and craigslist and the site you mentioned. I've got a line on one that was custom made for a barrel racer. It's about ten years old, but supposedly in good conditions. I'm waiting on pictures. We'll see.