Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend Recap

If I were to measure the success of a 3-day weekend by the amount of cholesterol consumed, the amount of sunscreen spread, and amount of saddle oil transferred to my jeans, I would have to say the weekend was a success.

Saturday morning we had some errands to run and chores to do. We got to ride in the afternoon. Since it had been ten days or so since Jessie's "episode" we decided on a shakedown ride just to see how she was feeling. We did a fairly routine canal ride out to the development. We loped around and she was none the worse for wear.

Sunday we headed for the river. We started in a different place. We began at the barn at Horseman's Park and rode to Lake Ming. The trail wound along the river and went through some very gently rolling hills. We had to circumnavigate the campground because it was very crowded for the holiday weekend. The horses all did very well. Dusty wore his boots and got along well with them. After the ride we had a picnic lunch in the shade of the barn. I made a simple little video of the ride, if you're interested. It's a beautiful area less than 30 minutes from our home.




Monday morning we took the dogs for a walk in the park before we rode in the neighbor's arena. Jessie and I worked on rollbacks, collection, and speed control. I thought we did a lot of loping. It was warm enough to at least get Jessie to break a sweat. She is gently improving in all these areas. I am hoping for a light bulb moment for one of us. I can't tell if it's my communication skills or her laziness that is keeping us from doing these maneuvers more snappily (is that even a word?). We'll just keep working at. I know it will come.

One other note: I heard Adam Carolla say, "Find something you love and would do even if no one paid you. Show up early and often and pay your dues". For me that's volunteering at the Downunder Tour stop. My application got approved last week for the Las Vegas stop June 11th ~ 13th. My wife is going to cover my duties at work, got my hotel room booked, and I'm ready to go.

6 comments:

Safires Phoenix and Buttercup said...

Looks lovely!

Funny/ interesting about the Mexican riders.

Glad to hear you are going to be helping with the Downunder Tour. So they only just now let you know that you'd been accepted. I thought that they would let you know a month in advance and here it is less than 2 wks. I submitted my request for our tour in Madison, WI but he doesn't come here until Sept.

John Harrer said...

I actually submitted my application in January. I guess someone didn't respond and I was on the alternate list.

Wasn't that just the handsomest mustang you ever saw?

Tuff e Nuff said...

Lovely video John. I like Dusty's headstall - where did you get it? Check how your halter is tied there mate. ;) Looks like a beautiful ride! Need to give the camera to Renae so we can see you. ;) Glad Jessie is feeling better.

John Harrer said...

That's a John Lyons headstall. Ranae had one that was getting old and so I found the guy who made them in San Diego. Ivan Osmark I think, and called him and he made one for me.

What's wrong with that halter? Do you think it's riding high? Or, is it the knot?

How's you ankle?

Tuff e Nuff said...

I thought it looked like a JL one. I need a new one for Lu as she keeps flipping her 1 ear off. It's the knot. Doesn't look like you have it tied right. I'm just razzing you though. Ankle seems to have healed fine for the most part.

John Harrer said...

I've switched to tying it above the loop so it doesn't tighten if she pulled back. I saw that on Craig's show. I think I'm doing it right (well, his way anyway). Maybe I need to go back to the video ;>)

The guys name is:
Ivan Osmak Saddlery
(760) 788-0222

If you call that number you should get Ivan, the guy who actually hand makes them. At least that was the case a couple of years ago.