Friday, August 29, 2008

A Little Groungwork...A Little Liberty

Our store closes at 5:30, so no matter how quickly I get home, time with Jessie in the evenings is quite limited. The last two nights I've gone out and done groundwork. It's still ubber-hot (104 today), but I think it helps because she is really looking for the rest.

I have this "Caution Wet Paint" yellow tape (it looks like crime scene tape)that I use to close off one of the corners and make our area just a bit more manageable for liberty. Jessie does pretty well with it, but the gate is on the other side of the tape. Last night I had neighbors on both sides wanting to talk. Sorry folks, I've got maybe 40 minutes of light left, I don't want to be rude, but can I hear about your vacation some other time I really need to focus here? Of course I didn't say any of that, I just kept working Jessie. We were doing circles and yielding and she left me and really leaned on the tape, I applied some pressure and she broke through (it's only like 2 mil thick). She headed for the gate and this really tickled both neighbors judging by their very clever observations. I managed to keep my cool and walked over to Jessie (where she was nibbling on hay leftover from the pen's occupant), yielded her hindquarters, gave her the signal to lead beside and she followed me back to our work area. The neighbor with the horses dropped his jaw when he saw her walking calmly beside me while I reset the tape and then continued working. I was smiling on the inside.

We did a few more exercises and then I want to try and jump some barrels. Clinton has a video on YouTube that is 3:24 and, hey, I've got ten minutes of light left, what the hell. She found it much easier to kick the barrels out of the way, but after about ten minutes she made a couple of good jumps and we had to call it quits.

We are ready for the 3-day weekend. Hope to get in a river ride on Saturday, family on Sunday. Hope y'all have a good weekend.

1 comment:

Tuff e Nuff said...

Don't you just love the jaw dropping effect? LOL]

Have a great weekend! I expect pics on Tuesday.