Tuesday, March 25, 2008

We had some good workouts over the weekend. Time was a bit compressed because of the holiday so we spent the time in the arena. Here's a video of a quick workout we did on Sunday evening. We had done some riding work Sunday morning and we got back from the family Easter celebration early after eating waaay too much food. I need to move around so we took Jessie and the camera out back.

I present this as is. It's a first take without any editing. The mike is open. I mention this because in watching, I see a number of mistakes and I'm sure you'll see them too. It's a humbling learning experience and I post it here to help me improve. Feel free to offer criticism - that's why I posted it.

My goal was to do a quick run through of several exercises. The eye hole broke on my handy stick so I can't attach the string. So I used hoof picking and my clippers as the desensitizing exercises.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you think when you could watch yourself in video? A few suggetions - when doing LFR Stg. 2 - use more body language. Jessie looks like she's chumping you (also looks like she's chumping on back up as well). I love how you don't nag her though! A lot of people nag & they don't realize they do it. When you move her FQ over to change sides, ask for more steps then you need. It will help in the future. She looks like she's starting to accept the clippers. Other than that you guys look great! She's gorgeous.

John Harrer said...

Good thoughts. Thanks. Besides the things you mentioned, here's some of the things I saw.

When I backed her the first time I held the lead too close to the shank. I couldn't get much wiggle from there.

I left my arm up too long when sending her. "She's gone already - put my arm down!"

The first change of direction was very poor. She gave very little effort and I gave a late, half-assed correction.

Yielding fore qtrs with Touch and Rub, my touch was too far forward. (Mainly because I'm trying to see her inside hind leg which she keeps moving).

BTW, the noise was a man working on the roof with a saw.

I did like how she is changing directions more off her back end now (yes, it used to be one screaming U-turn).

Not exactly sure what you mean by more body language. My movements are a bit stilted and there's something about it I can't put my finger on, but when she's going in the direction I want, at the speed I want, I try to keep my belly button pointed at the drive line.

I think if I can figure it out I'll get a little bit more "yes sir" out of her.

Thanks for taking the time to watch it. It's nice to have another point of view.

Anonymous said...

Wow John - you are harder on yourself then any critique could be. Go watch CA's LFR DVD/TV show and watch how he "crouches" when he ask them to change directions. You are kind of "stiff" and you just step in front of her instead of making it a smooth tranisition (which will help her transition smooth out). That's the main place I saw it - on LFR.

John Harrer said...

Yeah, I think that's what I'm seeing too. I wonder if I can learn that stiffness out of me? ;>)

Anonymous said...

Sure you can. Turn it into a dance(unless you have two left feet of course) LOL

John Harrer said...

They call me "Lefty"